Sunday, April 3, 2016

Post 22

There are a nice amount of connection made between "Death of a Salesman" and "Those Winter Sundays." The father/son relationships in each piece is quite close to one another in the fact that both of the fathers are portrayed as hard working men. It is clear that the son, who is the speaker of this poem, does not do much to help his father provide for the family.  He also does not share the same aspirations as his father, and he speaks indifferently to his father.  This compares to Biff in Death of a Salesman, he does not speak indifferently to his dad, but is obvious they do not share the same desires. Another connection that takes place in both is that the love the father's have for their children.  Even though Biff and Willy have their differences Willy truly loved Biff and took his life just so Biff could get ahead in life.  The father of the poem also loves his son as seen in the hard work he puts forth every day to take care of him and his family. A personal experience I can share with these two works is that my father loves me very much and wants what is best for me and I am very fortunate for this.  He has showed me what hard work is and the right way to provide for a family, it is something I will carry with me forever and  like I said I am very grateful for this.  The story that I compare the relationships to is "Boys and Girls" that we read earlier in this course.  The parents clearly love their daughter but do not necessarily show it very much.  Especially when she is confused about where her life is going in terms of her place in the home.  A movie that stands out to me in which the father and son have a different relationship is a movie entitled "The Rookie" starring Dennis Quaid.  Throughout the movie him and his father struggle to form a bond because of the hardships they went through in his childhood, but ultimately they find a deeper connection with one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment