Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Journal 4

The story "Why I live at the P.O." by Eudora Welty really hit home for me in a specific way.  Being the older of me and my brother I strongly relate to being second fiddle to the younger sibling at times.
"She's always had anything in the world she wanted and then she'd throw it away. Papa-Daddy gave her this gorgeous Add-a-Pearl necklace when she was eight years old and she threw it away playing baseball when she was nine, with only two pearls."

This quote from the beginning of the story was the part that really hit home to me about it, the younger sibling being spoiled and the older sibling being upset about it.  I am definitely not the only person to ever experience and won't be the last one either.  A specific example of this happened to me when I was 8 years old and my family were remodeling our house so it was a pretty big mess.  My brother (who was 5 at the time) and I both had to use the restroom so we decided to race to see who would get there first.  Well, after 5 staples in the side of his head, it was determined that I was the first one to the restroom.  To this day I know I didn't push him and he simply took a sharp turn and hit his head on the wall, but that is beside the point.  For the next 2 weeks my little brother was the king of the house, he got away with EVERYTHING! He could say mean things to me, take my things without asking, and just be a downright jerk.  This story truly hit home to me with being the older sibling and I know I can't be the only one!

No comments:

Post a Comment