Sunday, February 28, 2016

Journal 15

The poem entitled "A Certain Lady," by Dorthy Parker is narrated by a female who is clearly in love.  He appears to be speaking to or about her lover a specific quote that speaks to this is the first few lines of the poem 'Oh, I can smile for you and tilt my head, And drink your rushing words with eager lips...' To me this is obvious love speak because I can imagine is an obvious form of being happy and in love.  At the beginning of the poem at least I like her attitude, I am someone who enjoys love and everything involved with it.  I dislike how he goes back and forth from happy to unhappy repeatedly throughout the poem.  For example, 'Oh, I can laugh and marvel, rapturous eye. And you laugh back, nor can you ever see...The thousand little deaths my heart has died.' The speaker is bi-polar in a sense going from really happy to unhappy very rapidly.  The first 22 lines of this poem would be read in more of an upbeat tone because of the love being conveyed throughout most of the poem; however, the last few lines of the poem would be read in a mischievous tone because it appears the narrator is up to no good when their significant is gone.  The speakers personality is, like I said, mischievous as well as bipolar because of how they start and then finish the poem.  

No comments:

Post a Comment